Author: Kaz Kylheku
To: Reginald
Subject: Spam.
Hi all,

That recent spammer sent from this machine:

153-149-25-99.compute.jp-e1.cloudn-service.com

This helped me discover an long-standing bug in my Exim4 mail server
configuration that I finally discovered thanks to this intrusion.

Now we can tell from the host name that it's likely a subscriber line
(that shouldn't be sending SMTP to us directly). I have had a rule for
a long time in my Exim4 configuration to reject addresses.

Unfortunately, that rule included multiple pattern matches, which were
separated using the wrong character:

    hosts = pattern1 | pattern2 | pattern3 ...

rather than the correct colon character:

    hosts = pattern1 : pattern2 : pattern3 ...

Oops!