RE: Wow: quite a difference from replacing the EQ section op…

 new new list compose Reply to this message Top page
Attachments:
+ (text/plain)

Author: Kaz Kylheku
To: Darrall Dougherty
CC: ada-mp1
Subject: RE: Wow: quite a difference from replacing the EQ section op-amp!

On Mon, 10 Dec 2012 08:44:40 -0600, Darrall Dougherty
<darralld@???> wrote:
> Why did they put the 4559's in if they were already putting 5532's
> in some locations anyhow?

It was probably to save costs. Putting 5532's in some
locations is cheaper than putting them in all locations.

An interesting question is why does the NE5532/4 appear in the
particular places in the MP-1 that it does?

Why does the schematic call for a TL071 at the output of the
chorus section, but a NE5534 is installed?

Or, why is the MIDI board U11 a NE5532? That's hardly even used!
It's the rear-jack balanced line input whose impedance is too low
for guitar, which people ended up bypassing with a rear jack mod
which even ADA themselves started doing.

Some of the other places I can understand; it has decent driving
ability, down to 600 ohms, so from that perspective it's not a bad
choice to use for output buffers.

4559's are still found in low-end gear today. I was
surprised to see them in the preamp section of a Tascam
USB 122L interface, which makes me wonder whether they also
used child labor. I recently gutted a 1993 vintage
rackmount crossover unit from DOD to build my own project.
The original circuit board is loaded with 4559's.
They are found in 1980's Peavey stuff like the Bandit.