Re: Project still being worked on?

 new new list compose Reply to this message Top page
Attachments:
+ (text/plain)

Author: Kaz Kylheku
To: Hamish McIntyre-Bhatty
CC: cygnal
Subject: Re: Project still being worked on?
On 2020-10-11 04:23, Hamish McIntyre-Bhatty wrote:
> Cygnal in my application bundle, I think it's very likely that it will
> cause problems as Cygwin has changed quite a lot in the last few years.

To address this comment also, yes it causes problems. For instance,
if you compile a program now with Cygwin 3.1.7 and it uses uname(),
it actually needs a uname_x symbol, which won't be present in the
Cygnal.

To use Cygnal properly, you need a Cygwin installation which is close in
version to what that Cygnal is based from (ideally, exactly the same:
any deviation adds uncertainty, since a single incompatibility rift
like the uname_x business will stop the show).

I had a system crash recently and now have a new box with a new Cygwin
installation. Not having an up-to-date Cygnal is holding up the TXR 244
release.

I could install the older Cygwin and release with that, but it's better
to move forward. I've been putting this off for too long. Cygnal has
to be maintained to be of the utmost utility to people.