Author: Kaz Kylheku
To: Pilau Tigered
CC: ada-mp1
Subject: Re: Noisy ADA MP-1

It's hard to say without some A/B comparison, with another unit, if that is more noisy than normal, but the MP-1's are not known for being quiet. That's why there are these "noise mods" out there.

I basically changed every op-amp that passes audio to NE5532. For the quad in the EQ section, I used a MC33079.  Just desolder the old, solder in the new; repeat bunch of times.  It's good to do just one or two at a time and confirm the work after each one. Don't play the "which of these 11 op-amp chips I changed at the same time is bad/mis-soldered" game.

BTW in that doc you linked to, step (10) claims falsely that fancy op-amps will give the unit more gain; that is not true. The gain is determined by the other components in the op-amp circuit! It will be the same. We're definitely not looking for more gain by swapping op-amps, and it would be wacky if that happened.