Author: Kaz Kylheku
To: pateuxchef
CC: ADA MP-1 List
Subject: Re: ADA MP-1 Start up Problem

Hi Christian,

Pop the top off and look for the board date/revision silkscreen markings on the main board. IIRC, this is written close to the power entry connector.

If your MP-1 has a top-switch, it's one of the old ones, like mine, from circa 1987.

Other clues in old gear, in general, are date markings on integrated circuits like op-amps, which can help estimate the age. E.g. my MP-1 has a NE5532 chip marked with two lines: "NE5532N" and "8605D". The second line is a date code: week 5 of 1986.

Does your MP-1 have a start-up problem? The old ones have a design flaw which causes them not to start up sometimes when powered up. I debugged it myself to uncover the root cause, and then later discovered they fixed it in a 1989 revision in exactly the same way.

I'm guessing that you might have seen this fix and are wondering whether you have an older one.