Re: MP-1 Hum, Hiss, Troubleshooting

 new new list compose Reply to this message Top page
Attachments:
+ (text/plain)

Author: Benjamin Catchings
To: Kaz Kylheku
CC: ada-mp1
Subject: Re: MP-1 Hum, Hiss, Troubleshooting
Okay, first of all, thank you for this list. Since ADADepot went down I
haven't had a good source for discussion or help with the MP1 and I
think this list is going to end up being a great resource.

I have ruled out the tubes, the tube board and its components and the
switching as the problem is just as bad as with the ss channel as with
the tube channel.

There is no difference between the results with the front and back input
jacks, the two outputs, or the headphone out. The headphone out is a
little weirder than usual but I believe that's because when I was replacing
ICs I stuck an OPA2604 in the socket I put there and I think the gain is
way too high or something.

The effects loop dummy trick didn't result in anything different though I
forgot to check whether or not a signal that's just through the loop is
affected. The noise level is affected by adjusting OD1 and all the rest of
the controls but doesn't really disappear until it's below 4.

I'm leaning towards the problems in the input section and here's why:
Whilst exploring that section with and LED flashlight I was able to see a
few resistors that looked burnt and discolored, something I'd missed in
my last two run-throughs. They're the same four resistors listed in a copy
of the version 2 of the noise mod I found. The schematics I have list them
as R89, R90, R91 and R92. Three 1M resistors and one 510R. I replaced
all four with metal film resistors and while I was in there I replaced two 2K2
resistors as well (my schematic looks a little different but I'm pretty certain
they are R69 and R70). After that the hiss and hum seemed to be a little
less overwhelming but still very present and the lower frequencies are still
absent.

I believe both input jacks to be fine but I'm not 100% sure about the input
volume pot. It's alway been a little noisy but I know a surge could ruin it
too. It's got to be something right after the input. I noticed another
symptom as well. The noise reacts significantly to touching the cable.
Even touching the metal casing of my test signal generator adds to the
noise. Some sort of grounding problem I guess.

What parts are contained in this JFET transistor stage and bipolar transistor
stage? Could you tell me what parts I'm looking for so I can test or replace
them. In case they're part of these stages, I replaced the 2SK364s shortly after
the overvoltage (Q3 and Q4 on the tube board which aren't the problem and
Q5 and Q7 which I'm assuming are part of what you're talking about).

Thanks again for all your help.